Having your furnace break down on you suddenly is definitely something that you want to avoid. This is because if your furnace breaks done, you will no longer be able to have heat in your home, which is a huge problem in the winter time. Here are five signs that it's time to do something about your furnace:
- It's Old: If your furnace is over 15 years old and you start noticing problems with it, it's definitely best to replace it. Otherwise, you can be spending a ton on repairs that will ultimately add up to the cost to replace it anyway. Besides, when you replace it with a newer model, you will see much better results and efficiency.
- The Thermostat Has to be Adjusted Often: If you find yourself having to adjust the thermostat often, it's probably because your furnace is starting to lack in efficient performing because it's getting too old. You should definitely consider replacing it at this point to ensure that the heat is distributed evenly throughout your home. This will ensure that you can set the thermostat where it needs to be without having to worry about readjusting it constantly throughout the day.
- There Are Loud Noises: If you hear loud noises coming from your furnace, such as popping or banging, then you probably need to replace your furnace. This is because these loud noises indicate that the furnace is working too hard to heat your home, which means that it's probably old. At this point, it's best to have the furnace inspected to determine if the repairs needed are going to prolong the life of your furnace enough to make them worth it or if it's ultimately better to have it replaced.
- Your Bills Are Higher Than Usual: If you notice that your energy bill is higher than usual when you run your furnace in the winter, then it's probably because your furnace needs repairs or replacement. Have it inspected and let the professionals know that the higher bill is why you are concerned. This way, they will know what potential problems to look for.
- The Flame Is Not the Right Color: The flame inside the burner of your furnace should be blue. If it's yellow, then it's a sign that you either need to replace the burner or the furnace altogether. This is because when the flame is yellow, it's an indication that your furnace is burning carbon monoxide, which is dangerous for your health. You need to call the professionals right away to determine what your best option is. Do not wait to call and always check on the flame when you turn the furnace on for the first time in the winter.
When you know these five signs that your furnace needs to be replaced, you can be sure that you are taking the right measures to monitor your older furnace. Contact a company like Greers Service Company Inc to learn more.